Scottish Cinemas and Theatres

Cinema House, Nicholson Street Back Main

Cinema House, Nicholson Street

thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail thumbnail

The former Cinema House in Nicholson St, Edinburgh has been demolished in 2004. This opened as the North British Electric Theatre in 1903. It was later renamed the Cinema House, and in 1911 was attempting to compete in the cut-throat Edinburgh cinema marked by offering free afternoon teas. It became The Imperial for a time during the First World War, and seated around 500. Became part of the Gaumont circuit in 1928, before closing in 1930. It was later a Salvation Army citadel, but has been sitting derict for several years. The long, low auditorium was in the back-court of tenements, next to the Royal Surgeons Hall.

Back Main
Unless otherwise specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001 - 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally granted, but please ask first
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or trademarks. Please contact the editors in case of any queries.