Back

Edinburgh Demolished Cinemas

This list includes all known cinemas in Edinburgh that are not already covered on the main part of the site, as they are known to have been demolished.

NameAddressDetails
Abbey 30-32, N. Richmond St o. 1920 in former synangogue with external iron staircase. Cl. by 1933. Demolished.
Alhambra 200-204, Leith Walk o.26.12.14 with cine-variety. Arch. JM Johnston. Cinema in 1915. Cl. 8.3.58. Dem. 2.74.
Astoria 10, Manse Road, Corstorphine o. 1.1.30 by FR Graham-Yooll. Arch. TB Gibson. s. 1,228. Later sold to Kingsway Ents. Cl. 29.1.74. Dem.
Blue Halls / Beverley 3, Lauriston Street o. 1.1.30 on site of mart - fa?ade kept. s. 1,760. Renamed, 26.4.54 (cinemascope). Cl. 28.11.59. Dem. for pub.
Carlton Portobello Road, Piershill o. 23.12.35 by Ed. Cinema Properties Co. Arch. J McKissack. s. 1,400. Cl. 7.59. Dem.
County 16, Wauchope Ave, Craigmillar o. 29.8.50 as replacement for burnt-down Rio. Arch. T Bowhill Gibson. Cl. 18.10.63. Bingo.
Embassy Boswall Parkway o. 1937. Fire, 2.3.64, prompted closure. Dem. 1975 for supermarket.
Grand 99, St Stephen's St. o. 31.12.20 in old skating rink/cine-variety th./horse repository. s. 1,633. Sold to W Regent, 19??. Later sold to Green's. Cl. 25.5.60. Restaurant in 1984. Dem. after fire, 1993.
Lyceum 62, Slateford Rd/Robertson Ave. o. 8.11.26. Arch. Charles Mitchell. Sold to ABC. Cl. 1959, soon after a no-jeans policy was introduced. Bingo. Cl. after 2 fires, 1963. Dem.
New Electric Cinema Shrubhill, Leith Walk o. 1908. Later Petit Paris. Cl. c. 1912.
New Picture House 56, Princes Street o. 21.10.13 by PCT in banqueting hall of Royal Hotel. Arch. Atkinson & Alexander. s. 850. Sold to Gaumont, 2.29. Cl. 26.5.51. Sold to Allied Hotels and demolished with hotel for Marks and Spencer's.
North British Electric Theatre 18, Nicolson Street o. 1903. AKA Imperial Cinema. s. 500. Opened as Cinema House, 9.6.11. Sold to T Ormiston. Sold to Gaumont, 3.28. Cl. 24.5.30. Salvation Army Hall from c. 1940.
Olympia 54, Annandale Street o. 5.2.12 in old skating rink. s. 1,800. Cl. 1915 to become circus. Later car salesroom. Dem. Standard Life buiding on site, 1984.
Operetta House 3, Chambers Strret o. 1900 for cine-variety in old Moss theatre. Cinema by 1906. Probably cl. 23.12.39. Dem. 1951.
Palace 15, Princes Street o. 24.12.13 by PCT. Arch. RM Cameron. Cl. 5.2.55 to become part of Woolworth's.
Palace / Savoy / Tudor St. Bernard's Row o. 10.4.11 in shooting range, billiard hall, workshop etc. Soon St Bernard's Picture Palace. SCVT. Savoy from 28.3.21. s. 906. Tudor from 1960. Cl. 23.4.66. Bingo from 1970. Dem. 4.82, for flats.
Palladium Fountainbridge o. 1886 as circus/variety theatre (Cooke's Circus). Converted to cinema during silent era (1912). Cl. 8.32. Reverted to variety. Later disco. Dem.
Picture House 111, Princes Street o. 20.7.10 by PCT in older building (arch. Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, 1882-84). Arch. RM Cameron. s. c.500. Cl. 24.11.23 for shop.
Poole's Synod Hall Castle Terrace o. 1875 as theatre. Arch. J Murray Bell and FT Pilkington. UP Synod Hall from 1877. Poole's Diorama shows from 1906. Cinema from 1928. Cl. 30.10.65. Demolished, March-April, 1966.
Pringle's Picture Palace 71-75, Grove Street o. 9.11.08 by R Pringle in old mission hall/stables, built 1872. Arch. George Beattie and Sons. Cl. c.1917 to become theatre. Burned down, 4.7.21.
Regent 12, Abbeymount o.1.8.27 by FR Graham-Yooll in old Palace Brewery. Arch. T. Bowhill Gibson. s.1,700. Sold to GTC (Gaumont), 3.28. Cl. 2.5.70. Derelict in 1984.
Rio Wauchope Ave, Craigmillar o. 6.2.36 by ME Broadhurst. Arch. Linton & Grierson. s. 1,100. Sold to Paulo & Scott. Burnt down, 5.10.46.
Ritz Rodney Street o. 10.9.29 by ABC. Arch. McNair & Elder? s. 2,000. Cl. 28.11.81. Demolished, 1983. Flats.
Rutland / Gaumont 4-8, Canning Street o. 23.4.30 by Gen. Th. Corp/Gaumont. Arch. T Bowhill Gibson. s. 2,187. Renamed, 6.3.50. Cl. immediately after fire, 30.5.63. Dem., 1966
Salisbury 34-42, South Clerk Street o. 1925 in former mission hall. Cl. 1943 following fire. Used as store.
Salon 4-5, Baxters Pl, Leith Walk o. 2.10.13 Architect John Baxter, 1800. s. 800-1,000. Cl. 11.74. Now in very derelict condition.
Silver Cinema / Lyric 30, Nicolson Square o. 15.9.13. Arch. J McKissack. Renamed, 14.8.14. Cl. 28.3.31. Dem. Clydesdale Bank.
St Andrew's Square Cinema Clyde Street o. 1.1.23 by FR Graham-Yooll in old vet school of 1818 (arch. R&R Dickson). s. 1,421. Sold to Gaumont, 5.28. Destroyed by fire, 12.11.52. Dem. Now part of bus station.
Tivoli 52, Gorgie Road o. 1913 as cine-variety hall. Dem., 1933. Replaced by New Tivoli.
Tollcross / New Tollcross 140, Lauriston Place o.31.12.12 by Thomas Stewart as part of complex incl. furniture shop and billiard hall. Arch. Alan L Goodwin. Sold to Lucas's. Renovated, renamed, 16.1.43. Cl. 27.9.47. Frontage visible, 1984.
UCI Fort Kinnaird Fort Kinnaird Retail Park, Newcraighall 12 Screens. o.July 1990, closed Jan 2008, demolished June 2008
Waverley 6, Infirmary Street o. pre-1911, in old church. By 1922 it had been sold to an electrian's co. Extant in 1984. Bookshop extension on site.
Waverley Market Occaisonal film shows

Back