Rutland / Gaumont
4-8, Canning Street
Opened in April 1930 by the
General Theatre Corporation / Gaumont. Architect was T. Bowhill
. Original seating was for 2,187. Renamed in March 1950. Closed
immediately after a fire, in May 1963. Demolished in 1966.
Exterior photo above courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the
National Library of Scotland. Interior images courtesy of the
Cinema Theatre Association Archive.
Images below courtesy of Frank Watson / Scottish Cinema Organ Trust
The organ was removed in 1958.
Richard Telfer at the 3/11 Ingram Organ
specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001
- 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally
granted, but please
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or
trademarks. Please contact the editors
in case of any queries.