Scottish Cinemas and Theatres

Picture House Edinburgh
Back    Main Page

Picture House
111, Princes Street

Opened July 20th 1910 at 6.30pm. Operated by PCT in an existing older building designed by architect Sir Robert Rowand Anderson. Cinema designed by architect RM Cameron, with seating for around 500, plus a tearoom and smoking room. Closed in November 24th 1923 for conversion to a shop.
The Evening News described it on opening as a 'handsomely appointed little theatre'.

A New Picture House opened in 1925 elsewhere on Princes Street.

Photo above courtesy of the Gould Theatre Collection.
Image below courtesy of Frank Watson / SCOT

Back    Main Page

Unless otherwise specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001 - 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally granted, but please ask first
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or trademarks. Please contact the editors in case of any queries.