Back    Main Page


Odeon / New Victoria
7 Clerk Street




Original front stalls & proscenium


Original rear stalls and balcony


Foyer


Stalls Lounge


Cafe


Proscenium after 1960s remodelling


The New Victoria opened on 25th August 1930. It was designed for the Gaumont company by the architects WE Trent & JW Jordan, with seating for 2,058. (Trent's only other cinema north of the border, also for Gaumont, is in Alloa).

The small foyer led to a long, curving stalls lounge. The auditorium was in classical Greek style, with figurines in niches lining the walls. A curving collonade ran round the rear of the balcony, and several private boxes lined the rear of the stalls. The original proscenium was flanked by 6 full-height pillars on each side. Full stage and dressing room facilities were provided.

CinemaScope was installed in 1954, and the proscenium was widened and brought forward and the pillars hidden by curtains in 1958 to allow 'South Pacific' to be shown in 70mm. The auditorium was also modernised, and lights were fitted to the ceiling to create the effect of a sitting out under a starry sky in 1960. The seating was also reduced to around 1,784. In April 1964, the building was renamed the Odeon.

In 1974, the building was B-listed as, in the words of Historic Scotland, "An outstanding example of the work of the most famous British cinema specialists."

The stage was made deeper in 1978, and the building was often used for live music shows such as The Clash.

In 1982, the auditorium was subdivided, with two new cinemas created in the original rear stalls area. The original balcony became Screen 1. Due to the listed status of the building, this was done in a reversible manner, with the original decoration retained. In 1989, two more screens were created - one on the stage and front stalls area; the other above this in space above the stage. A replica of part of the original proscenium was created for Screen 1, directly in front of the original, which remained hidden but intact.

Screen 1 replica proscenium

In 2003, Odeon sold the building (along with the Odeon Renfield Street in Glasgow) to a property developer. The cinema closed on 30th August 2003, with many of the staff transferring to the new miniplex Odeon that was opened on the site of the old ABC Lothian Road. At the time of closure, there were 5 screens, seating: 1: 639 (original circle), 2: 292 (left rear stalls), 3: 201 (right rear stalls), 4: 261 (stage and front stalls), 5: 107 (above 4 on stage).

In August 2004 the building was temporarily used as a Edinburgh Festival Fringe venue called Pod Deco - each of the screens was a separate stage used for comedy and drama. Temporary seating was used, and in Screen 1, a new lighting rig was suspended from the ceiling. Curtains hid the lack of screen.



Especially nice was the re-opening of the cafe area as a bar, and being able to sit out on the balcony on a summer evening having a drink. The Pod people had expressed an interest in running the building as an all-year round venue, although nothing came of this.

In February 2005, plans were lodged with Edinburgh City Council to demolish the auditorium entirely, and build student flats on the site. Only the facade would be retained under this scheme, although it too would be modified by the addition of an extra glass floor above the current roof-level. This scheme was thankfully eventually withdrawn. It is understood that some other parties may have expressed interest in utilising the building for other uses, and the ultimate fate of the building is far from certain at present.

In August 2005, the building was once again used as a fringe venue, called C Electric, and the main Screen 1 was being used to show classic films, projected from 35mm film, for the duration of the Festival.




A selection of photos from the Odeon's closing night in August 2003 are available here, courtesy of Stuart Kelly.

Another selection of closing night photos from Graham Hughes are available here.

A selection of interior photos from 1982 courtesy of Alistair Kerr are available here.


A selection of interior photos from 2002/2003 are available here.

A gallery of exterior photos taken in April 2004 here, showing how closely surrounded by buildings the auditorium is.

Then and now photos - what original decoration survives in the Odeon as it is in 2005?

Foyer

Stalls Lounge

Cafe


Auditorium Front (1930s)

Auditorium Front (1960s)

Auditorium Rear

Click here for a full photo tour of the inside of the building circa 2005.


(Many thanks to Iain Stewart of Duddingston House Properties and the very nice people at  C Venues
 for allowing us access to record the interior.)

Images courtesy of Frank Watson / Scottish Cinema Organ Trust

John McDougall at the 2/10
Wurlitzer organ


External Link: this website on the Odeon Edinburgh features more interior photos, as well as a newspaper report of the opening of the cinema in 1930.

Technical details (courtesy George Will & Geoff Ruderham):
Cinema 1 (35mm & 70mm) From 1956 onwards Philips DP70’s. (35/70mm Projectors)
At closure; Cinemeccanica Victoria 9 with Christie table (Non Rewind system) also
Sound before closure Dolby Digital, Dolby S.R., Dolby Stereo & DTS.
Cinema 2, (35mm only) Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 with Christie table (Non Rewind system) Sound Dolby S.R
A unique “interlock” system was installed between 2&3 so they could share one print at busy times.
Cinema 3, (35mm only) Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 with Christie Non Rewind system Sound Dolby S.R
Cinema 4, (35mm only) Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 with Christie Non Rewind system Sound Dolby Stereo
Cinema 5, (35mm only) Cinemeccanica Victoria 5 with Christie Non Rewind system Sound Dolby Stereo

Back    Main Page