Main Page

Ascot / Gaumont / Odeon
1544 Great Western Road, Anniesland

The B-listed Ascot opened in December 1939, after delays in construction caused by the  declaration of war, and subsequent alterations to strengthen the roof to provide better shelter in the event of bombing. Designed by McNair & Elder, it originally seated 1,963.

Picture above courtesy of

It was renamed Gaumont in 1950, and when that chain was taken over by Odeon it was renamed as such in 1964, before closing as a cinema in 1975.

A County bingo hall from then until 1998, it sat empty until demolition began in 2001.

Part of the frontage was retained, with new flats built behind where the auditorium once stood. A couple of photos of the place as it is now, but nicely lit up at night can be seen here, here and here.

For pictures taken during various stages of the demolition, see here.

For interior pictures taken during demolition, see here (thanks to Frank Watson).

Photos c1980 courtesy Chris Doak

Images of the foyer courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland

Main Page