This opened as the Capitol in 1927, to a design by John Fairweather. It originally seated 2062.
Renamed the Gaumont in 1954, it finally closed in 1961.
The building was used for bingo from then till the early nineties, when it was left derelict for a while before being re-opened as the Bombay Cinema in the late nineties, showing Asian language films. This seated 740 in a single screen.
In September 2004, outline planning permission was granted to demolish and replace it with flats and car parking.
The cinema finally closed in December 2004, and demolition started in February 2006.