Back

Glasgow Demolished Cinemas

This list includes all known cinemas in Glasgow that are not already covered on the main part of the site, as they are known to have been demolished.

NameAddressDetails
Aldwych 2130, Paisley Rd West o. 16.4.38 by Smith and Welsh. Arch. J McKissack. s. 2,500. Sold to Singleton's, 7.1.50. Cl. 1963. Bingo. Dem. 1964 for supermarket.
Arcadia 484, London Road / Canning St o. 31.12.30 by ABC. Arch. WB Inglis. S. 1,409. Sold to H Winocour, 1939. Sold to Green's, 15.11.54. Cl. 2.4.62. Bingo. Dem. 1971.
Ardgowan 177, Weir Street o. 1923 by James Hamilton in old cork factory. Arch. Eric Sutherland. s. 1,116. Cl. 1963. Dem. 1965.
Argyle (Electric Theatre) Argyle Street o. 23.12.10 by Argyle P&V. Arch. George Boswell. s. 754. Rebuilt, reopened, 21.11.38. Arch. Boswell. s. 1,250. Cl. 21.3.60. Dem. 1963 for Argyle Street Station
Astoria 67, Possil Road o. 2.2.31 by Astoria Cinemas Ltd. Arch. AV Gardner. s. 3,002. Sold to CMA (Rank) 23.4.55. Cl. 19.11.62. Bingo. Dem. 1995.
Avenue/Victoria/Victory 950, Dumbarton Road o. 5.2.13 by Scotstoun P&V Ltd. Arch. Thomas Baird. s. 700. Sold to J Graham, 1919. Rebuilt, renamed, 5.6.30. Arch. Lennox& McMath. Sold to Associated GP Cinemas and renamed 4.4.45. Rebuilt, 1949. Arch. Lennox D Paterson. Sold to Loray Cinema Circuit, 5.56. Cl. 1964. Wareho. Dem. 1981.
BB Cinerama Victoria Rd/Cuthbertson St o. 14.9.12 by JJ Bennell in old skating rink. Arch. J Campbell Reid. s. 1,500. Cl., dem. 1922.
BB Cinerama / Odeon 201 Victoria Road o. 7.8.22 by JJ Bennell as replacement for old Cinerama. Arch. McInnes Gardner & Campbell Reid. s. 2,004. Sold to Gaumont, 1929. Auditorium extended, 1931. Arch. James L Ross. s. 2,662. New Cinerama from 1948. Rebuilt, renamed, 24.2.64. s. 2,003. Cl. 6.10.81. Dem. late 1986.
Blythswood 218, Maryhill Rd, Maryhill o. 19.12.27 by Blythswood Picture House Ltd. Arch.CJ McNair. s. 1,100. Cl. 10.8.72. Bingo. Dem. 1980 for flats.
Boulevard / Vogue 2, Knightscliffe Avenue o. 10.12.28 by North British Theatres Ltd. Arch. WB Inglis. s. 1, 140. Sold to Singleton Cinemas Ltd, 3.11.38. Rebuilt. Arch. Inglis. s. 1,470. Cl. 1.6.59. Dem. 1960.
Bridgeton X Electric Th. Olympia Street o. 1910 by West of Scotland Electric Ths. Arch. George A Boswell. Leased to Green's from 1912 and renamed Picturedrome. Cl., dem. 1932.
Broadway / Odeon 19, Amulree Street o. 25.6.30 by Singleton Cinemas Ltd. Arch. James McKissack. s. 1,742. Sold and renamed, 9.36. Cl. 25.1.67. Bingo. Dem. 8.95.
Calder 302, Calder Street o. 25.4.32 by Harry Winocour (W Regent) at back of the Govanhill. Arch. Cowieson's. s. 1,250. Sold, 1954, to Green's. Cl. 1967. Bingo until 1972. Dem. 1981.
Cambridge 90, New City Road o. 8.11.22 by Grove Picture House Ltd. in old UP Church. Arch. J Jeffrey Waddell. s. 895. Rebuilt, 1927. Arch. CJ McNair. s. 1,020. Renovated, 3.54. s.954. Cl., dem. 1964.
Camphill Picture House 7, Baker Street o. 1911 by James Hamilton. Arch. Thomas Baird. s. 820. Sold to ABC, 8.29. s. 1,200. Dem. After fire, 22.4.31.
Canadian Picture House 319, Springburn Road o. 1912 by Mary Byatt in old Baptist Church. Arch. CJ McNair. s. 440. Rebuilt, 1921. Arch. McNair. Cl. 10.25. Dem. for Kinema.
Carlton 150, Castle St, Townhead o. 4.1.26 by James Graham. Arch. Duff & Cairns. s. 1,619. Sold to Glasgow and West of Scotland Ths., 4.4.45. Sold to CMA (Rank), 23.4.55. Cl., dem. 5.3.66
Casino 149, Castle St, Townhead o. 23.10.11 by AE Pickard. Purpose built, arch. George A Boswell. s. 987. Sold to Glasgow Casino Ltd., 3.24. Cl. 17.2.65. Bingo until 1968. Dem. 1973.
Casino Shawbridge St, Pollokshaws o. 1911 by P McKenna. s. 300. Cl., dem. 1919
Cathcart Picture House/Rialto/George 15, Old Castle Street o. 1913 by Cathcart Cinemas Ltd. Arch. CJ McNair. s. 800. Reconstructed, renamed, 5.11.28. Arch. McNair. s. 1,311. Sold to ABC, 3.30. Sold to Ass. GP Cinemas, 1946. Renamed, 23.12.48. Cl. 1961. Bowling alley. JW hall from 1969. Dem. 2.94.
Cinema Picture House / Regent 72, Renfield Street o. 25.12.11 by Glasgow Picture House Ltd. Arch. Neil C Duff. s. 633. Remodelled, renamed, 1920 (fa?ade heightened, balcony installed). s. 1,314. Renovated after fire, 1971. Cl, dem. for offices, 5.82.
Coliseum (Cinerama) 97, Eglinton Street Old Moss's Empire. Arch. F Matcham. Cine-variety from 1925. Sold to SCVT, 2.3.25. Remodelled, 7.9.31. Arch. WR Glen. s. 3,094. Remodelled for Cinerama, 26.9.63. Arch. Leslie C Norton. s. 1,310. Cl. 11.10.80. Bingo from 1987. Bingo in 1.02.
Colosseum Jamaica Street Dept. store owned by Walter Wilson. Kinetoscope shows from 1895. Cinema o. 30.11.1896. s. 500. Cl. 1904 to be part of dept. store. Store dem. 2.94
Commodore / Odeon 1297, Dumbarton Road o. 1.1.33 by Singleton Cinemas Ltd. Arch. James McKissack. s. 2,000. 'Similar to Embassy' - Kenna, Art Deco Glasgow. Sold, renamed, 9.36. Cl. 25.11.67. Dem. 1976.
Coronation 470, Cathedral Street o. 21.10.11 by Coronation Picture House Ltd. in old Congregational church. Arch. Duncan and Copland. S. 1,000. Cl. 3.12. Reopened by Central Picture House Ltd. Cl, dem. 4.15.
Cranston's Picture House / Classic 15, Renfield Street o. 22.5.16. Arch. J Millar. s. 850. Sold to Winocour (W Regent), 2.34. Sold to Green's, 1954. Sold to Classic with adj. News Th., 23.9.60. Renamed, 5.72. s. 644, 220, 136. Destroyed by fire, 22.5.81. Dem. 1986. Fa?ade restored (Classic House).
Crown 163, Crown St, Gorbals o. 1914 by JM Drummond in tenement close. Arch. William Reid. s. 350. According to RCAHMS record, the building was Southside Assembly Rooms of 1876. Arch. Horatio Kelson Bromhead. Dem. 1930 for replacement.
Crown / George 163, Crown St, Gorbals o. 1930 by JM Drummond on site of old Crown. Arch. Lennox & McMath. s. 900. Sold to Ass. GP Cinemas, renamed, 4.48. Cl. 14.9.70. Dem. 1974.
Dalmarnock Picture House / Plaza 361, Nuneaton Street o. 4.22 by Samuel Gratton. s. 1,204. Renamed, 8.45. Cl. 8.5.59. Warehouse. Dem. 1981.
Dennistoun Picture House / East Millar St Picture House Armadale St / Findlay Dr o. 1921 by Dennistoun Picture House Ltd. Arch. CJ McNair. s. 1,631. Sometime known as East Millar St Picture House. Sold to ABC, 1929. Cl. 5.11.60. Dem. 1971.
Eglinton Electreum 25, Eglinton Street o. 14.12.11 by Eglinton Electreum Ltd. Arch. James McKissack. s. 650. Cl, dem. 5.55.
Elder Reid Street, Govan o. 11.12.16 by Caledon Pictures Ltd. Arch. AV Gardner. s. 1,121. Cl. 28.3.59. Bingo, 1967-70. Dem. 6.76.
Embassy 146, Kilmarnock Road o. 3.2.36 by Harry Winocour. Arch. James McKissack. s. 1,638. Sold to Glasgow Photo Playho., 14.6.38. Cl., dem. 5.65 for supermarket.
Empire Electric P P 1281, Gallowgate o. 5.10.09 by Empire Picture Palace Ltd. Cl. 1925. Working men's club. Dem. 1983.
Empire Eragraph 60, Raglan Street o. 1913 by P McKenzie in North Woodside Halls. Cl. 1931.
Empress 557, Ballater Street o. 25.11.12 by Empress Pictures Ltd. in old machine shop. Arch. James Austen Laird. s. 240. Cl. 1914. Now industial units.
Empress Theatre 313, St George's Road Variety hall with cinema seasons when owned by GU Scott, 1933-60. Dem. 4.87.
Florida / Gaumont 162, Ardmay Crescent o. 31.12.31 by Florida (Glasgow) Ltd. Arch. Hamilton Neil, based on earlier plans by Lennox & McMath. s. 1,640. Sold to Gaumont, 7.3.38. Renamed, 17.4.50. Cl. 5.1.57. Sold, 13.11.61. Demolished.
Gaiety 625, Argyle Street o. 19.12.09 in old variety th. By JJ Bennell. s. 2,000. Sold to Anderston P&V Ltd, 7.28. Renovated, 4.35. Arch. CJ McNair. s. 1,403. Used as Glasgow Concert Hall from 29.1.63. Cl, dem. 7.68.
Garrick / Western 173-177, Dumbarton Road o. 22.1.16 by Garrick Cinema Co. Ltd. Purpose-built. Arch. H Campbell. s. 900. Renamed, 1919. Extended, 1921. Arch. CJ McNair. s. 1,211. Cl. 1966. Dem. 4.79.
Govan Cinema 729, Govan Road o. 20.6.13 by SCVT. Purpose-built. Arch. Richard Henderson. S. 1,209. Cl, 4.36. Demolished for Plaza.
Govan X Picture Palace 51-55, Helen Street o. 5.8.10 by James Hamilton in old shed/skating rink. Arch. James C Robertson. S. 1,282. Cl. 1929. Warehouse.
Grafton 243, Parliamentary Road o. 1922 by Albert Pictures Ltd., behind tenements. Arch. Duff & Cairns. s. 1,040. Cl, dem, 1964 for road-building.
Granada 1321, Duke St, Parkhead o. 26.8.35 by Bernard Frutin. Arch. Lennox and McMath. s. 2,400. Bingo. Cl. 8.95. Very derelict in 2000. Demolished, 2001.
Granville / Gem 164, G Western Rd/Cromwell o. 1921 by Granville Picture House Ltd. in old Wesleyan Mission. Arch. George M Brand. s. 550. Renovated (with green & cream vitrolite name sign), renamed, 1928. s. 592. Cl. 1958. Car showroom. Dem. 1981.
Green's Picturedrome 21, Ballater Street o. 3.11 by George Green Ltd. Purpose-built? Arch. Thomas Baird. s. 1,100. Cl. 2.58. Dem. c.1966.
Green's Picturedrome/Cinema 371, Wellshot Road o.c. 1914 by George Green Ltd. Purpose-built. Arch J Fairweather. S. 1,116. Renovated, renamed Cinema,1926. Arch. Fairweather. s. 1,103. Closed 2.58. Later a bingo hall, demolished around 1973. Address also given as 367 Wellshot Road.
Green's Picturedrome/Round Toll/Magnet 41, Possil Road o. 1912 by George Green Ltd. in back court. Arch. Burnet & Boston. s. 500. Leased to Round Toll Pictures Ltd and called Round Toll Cinema, 3.20 -9.31. Reopened by R Pennycook and called Magnet, 6.4.32. Cl, dem., 5.55.
Green's Playhouse 126, Renfield Street o. 15.9.27 by George Green Ltd. Arch. John Fairweather. s. 4,368. Cl. 30.6.73. Apollo cinema/concert hall, 8.9.73-16.6.85. Dem. 9.87.
Grove 12, Breadalbane Street o. 4.8.15 by James Graham in old UF Ch. Arch. AV Gardner. s. 827. Sold to P McNicol, 4.22. Cl. 18.1.32. Dance hall. Dem. ?
Hippodrome / Ritz Rutherglen Road o. 5.21 by A. Horsley for cine-variety. Arch. WB Inglis. s. 1,100. Leased to B Frutin from 3.25. Sold to ABC, renovated, renamed, 21.9.31. Arch. CJ McNair. Cl, dem. 2.61.
Ibrox Cinematograph Th Lendel Place, Ibrox o. 8.10 by AE Pickard in old skating rink. Arch. Neil C Duff. s. 1,000. Cl. 5.15. Warehouse. Dem. 1986.
Kelvin 1073, Argyle Street o. 12.5.30 by Kelvin Cinema Ltd. Arch. Gardner & Glen. s. 1,957. Sold to George Taylor, 7.31. Cl. 1959. Various uses then dereliction. Now restaurant.
Kinema 319, Springburn Road o. 3.26 by P Byatt on site of Canadian Picture House. Arch. AV Gardner. s. 850. Sold to W Regent, 19??. Sold to Green's, 1954. Cl, dem. 1958.
Kingsway 1235, Cathcart Road o. 8.5.29 by Kingsway Cinema Ltd (Smith & Welsh). Arch. McKissack. s. 1,432. Sold to Singleton Cinemas, renamed, 7.1.50. Cl. 3.65. Bingo until 6.86. Derelict, for sale in 1.02. B-listed.
Lorne Cornwall Street, Ibrox o. 11.1.14 by Lorne Cinema Ho. Arch. Neil C Duff. s. 900. Sold to Caledon Pictures Ltd (AB King director), new moderne fa?ade and interior, 3.28. Arch. Gardner & Glen. s.1,265. Cl. 1968. Bingo until 1976. Dem. 1986.
Louvre 1313-24, Duke Street o. 1914 by Parkhead X Picture House Ltd. Arch. Halley & Neil. s. 955. Sold to B Frutin, cl., dem., 1934 for Granada.
Lyceum (I) 908, Govan Road o. 4.11.99 as th. Films from 1902. Sold to Caledon Pictures, 11.23. s. 3,000. Rebuilt, 1932. Arch. CJ McNair. s. 2,078. Destroyed by fire, 24.10.37.
Lyric 100, Langlands Road o. 9.10.22 by B Frutin in back court. Arch. CJ McNair. s. 645. Cl. 3.33. Ballroom. Dem. 1982.
Lyric Theatre 60, Sauchiehall Street Theatre built in 1879. Arch. F Matcham. o. for films in 1914 by Lyric Pictures. s. 2,000. Cl. 1918. YMCA. Dem. 1960.
Majestic 110, Smith Street o. 7.12 by Arthur Vivian Pictures Ltd. Arch. AV Gardner. s. 959. Sold to H Maitles, 3.40. Cl., dem. 1957.
Marne / Park 25, Marne Street o. 16.11.20 by Eastern Picture House Co. Arch. Duff & Cairns. s. 1,300. Renamed, 5.28. Cl., dem. 6.58 for flats.
Maryhill Picture House 1397, Maryhill Road o. 12.14 by Maryhill Picture House Ltd. Arch. George N Beattie. s. 830. Cl., dem. 1929. Site lated used for Roxy.
Maxwell Picture House/Palladium 99-107, Shawbridge St o. 4.21 by James Graham. Arch. J Jeffrey Waddell. s. 980. Renamed, 8.32. Sold to J Boe, then Miss A Burns, 4.45. Renovated, renamed Pollok Picture House. Cl, dem. 9.58
Mayfair 33, Sinclair Drive o. 22.1.34 by Mayfair Pictures Ltd. Arch. Eric A Sutherland. s. 1,340. Sold to ABC, 9.35. Cl. 30.6.73. Wareho. Dem. 1980
Mosspark Picture House Paisley Road West o. 1925 by Duncan Campbell. Arch. John Caldwell (builders). s. 1,000. Sold to CAC, 1938. Cl, dem. 11.73 for flats.
New Bedford (I) 117, Eglinton Street o. 1921 by Bedford Picture House Ltd in old church. Arch. J Jeffrey Waddell. Sold to B Frutin, 7.24. Dem. after fire, 3.32. Replaced.
New Grand 118, Cowcaddens Street o. 1.4.19 on site of burnt-out Grand Th. Arch. G Boswell. s. 1,775. Renovated, 1926, with jazz-moderne int. Sold to Grove Picture House Ltd, 1936. Cl. 3.59 to become part of dept. store. Dem. 1966.
New Savoy Hope Street / Renfrew St o. as music hall, 16.12.11. Arch. James Miller. s. 2,000. Converted to cinema by Biocolour Circuit, 25.12.16. Arch. George Boswell. Sold to Gaumont, 1927. Modernised, o. 9.7.34. Cl. 12.9.58. Ballroom. Cl. 15.1.72. Dem. 1972.
Orient 571, Gallowgate o. 2.5.32 by George Taylor. Arch. AV Gardner. Atmospheric int. s. 2,570. Sold to George Green Ltd., 1959. Cl. 26.5.65. Bingo. Cl. 8.95. Photographs in RCAHMS of statue, plasterwork, etc, taken at this time. Very derelict in 2002.
Oxford Playhouse 57, Keppochhill Road o. 1927 by B Frutin in old tramway workshop. Arch. Lennox & McMath. s. 1,500. Destroyed by fire, 1.1.41.
Palace 129, Main Street, Gorbals Theatre o. 1904. Arch. Bertie Crewe. s. 2,000. Cine-variety from 1914. Sold to H Maitles, 1.30. Cl. 1962. Bingo. Cl., dem. 1976.
Palaceum 10, Hill Street o. 1913 by GU Scott. Arch. CJ McNair. S. 835. Rebuilt 1936. Arch. McNair. Dem. after fire, 9.54.
Paladium 1289, Dumbarton Road o. 1910 by Scotstoun Paladium Ltd. in old skating rink. Arch. Brand & Lithgow. s. 480. Cl., dem. 1924.
Paragon 403, Cumberland Street o. 1912 by Cumberland Picture House Ltd. in old church. Arch. J Jeffrey Waddell. s. 1,300. Sold to RV Singleton, 11.12. Rebuilt, 1927. Arch. Gardner & Glen. Sold to Odeon, 9.36. Cl., dem. 6.58.
Paragon Tobago Street, Calton o. 1910 by RV Singleton in former Globe Music Hall. s. 683. Cl., dem. 1920.
Parkhead Picture Palace 49, Tollcross Road o. 7.21 by SCVT. Arch. George Gunn. s. 1,250. Cl., dem. 19.8.60.
Partick Picture House/New Partick 14, Vine St. (Orchard St.) o. 4.11.12 by Partick Picture House Ltd. (George Taylor). Arch. AV Gardner. S. 1,295. Burnt down, 8.29. Reopened, 1.31. Arch. Gardner. S. 1,815. Largely destroyed by fire, 1962. Repaired as wareho. Dem. 1972.
Phoenix / Endrick Sawfield Place o. 1912 by Northern Kinema Ltd. Arch. D McNaughton & Son. s. 980. Sold to ABC, 9.28. Sold to KM Dunn, 1943. Renamed, 23.12.48. Cl. 9.55. Wareho. Dem. 1972.
Picturedome / Govan Picturedome / Greens Picturedome 25 Summerstoun Road o.2.1912, c.1931 Former Govan Roller Rink, Grange Music Hall after closure. Centre portion of rink retained for auditorium. Cinebox above entrance. Seated 1,500.
Plaza / ABC 727, Govan Road o. 21.12.36 by ABC on site of Govan Cinema. Arch. McNair & Elder. s. 2,280. Renamed, 1966. Cl. 15.4.72. Dem. 10.72. for road building.
Possilpark Picture House / Avon 277, Saracen Street o. 1920 by James Graham. Arch. AV Gardner. s. 1,222. Sold to Glasgow & West of Scotland Cinemas, renamed, 4.4.45. Sold to CMA (Rank), 23.4.55. Cl., dem. 1960.
Premier 1138, Dumbarton Road o. 1922 in old billiards hall. Cl. 1930.
Princes (I) 20, Gourlay Street o. 9.14 by Scottish Picture House Ltd. Arch. Richard Henderson. s. 988. Sold to SCVT, 1917. Cl, dem. 1936
Princes (II) 20, Gourlay Street o. 8.11.37 by ABC on site of old Princes. Arch. McNair & Elder (unusually stark for them). s. 2,050. Cl. 27.7.68. Bingo. Dem. 1978.
Pringle's Bijou Hall 73, Cowcaddens Street o. 19.3.08 by Ralph Pringle in old Assembly halls. s. 650. Cl, 1930, following Glen Cinema tragedy. Still extant in 1959 according to Th Royal conversion plans. Possible window from pros end still visible on Th Royal end wall.
Pringle's Dennistoun Palladium Hillfoot Street o. 1.1.12 by Ralph Pringle in old skating rink. Arch. George Boswell. s. 1,2000. Cl. 12.21. Dance hall. Dem. 1937.
Rex / ABC 650, Cumbernauld Road o. 7.12.31 by ABC. Arch. CJ McNair. s. 2,336. Renamed, 1961. Cl, dem. 29.9.73.
Rhul Stonelaw Road o. 27.4.32 by Burnside Picture House Co. Ltd. Arch. Neil C Duff. s. 1,250. Sold to ABC, 12.36. Cl, dem. 5.11.60
Rio Canniesburn Toll o. 8.10.34 by Suburban Pictures Ltd. Arch. Cowieson's Ltd. s. 1,120. Sold to P Crerar, 1936. Sold to CAC, 6.38. Twinned 1975. s. 299, 287. Cl., dem. 18.10.86 for flats.
Roxy 1397, Maryhill Road o. 15.9.30 by James Graham on site of old Maryhill Picture House. Arch. Lennox & McMath. s. 2,270. Sold to G&WofS Cinemas Ltd., 4.4.45. Sold to CMA (Rank), 23.4.55. Cl, dem. 10.62.
Royal 102, Main St, Bridgeton o. 7.18 by Royal Picture House Co. in back court. s. 500. Cl., dem. 3.58.
Scenic Picture House 457, Paisley Road West o. 3.11.10 by Paisley Rd Elec. Palace Co. Back court. Arch AV Gardner. s. 800. Cl, dem. 1938.
Scotia 7, Millerston Street o. 24.3.21 by James Hamilton. Arch. CJ McNair. s. 1,250. Sold to Douglas Picture House Co. 11.45. Major rebuild after fire, o. 1950. Much improved interior with moderne styling. Cl., 1964. Bingo until 1985. Dem. after fire, 1987.
Scott's Annfield Elec. Th. 609, Gallowgate o. 1909 by GU Scott in former Annfield Halls. s. 600. Cl. 4.34.
Scott's Electric Theatre Gray St, Shettleston o. 3.12 by GU Scott in old wire works. s. 700. Cl., dem. 1969.
Seamore 220, Maryhill Road o. 21.12.14 by AE Pickard. Arch. GA Boswell & RA Thomas. s. 1,942. Expanded and lift fitted, 1932. Sold to AB King, 4.35. Sold to CMA (Rank), 23.4.55. Cl. 1963. Dem. after fire, 1968.
Shawlands Picture House 1045, Pollokshaws Road o. 1914 by Shawlands Cinema Ltd. Arch. Richard Henderson. s. 550. Sold to SCVT, 4.16. Cl., dem. 30.8.30.
Spingburn Picture House / Astor Wellfield Street o. 1920 by J. Graham. Arch. AV Gardner. Tin shed s. 1,535. Sold to Glasgow & West of Scotland Cinemas, 4.4.45. Renamed, 11.47. Sold to CMA (Rank), 23.4.55. Cl. 17.11.66. Destroyed by fire, 1968.
Springburn ET / Ideal / Royal 339, Springburn Road o.1911 by Caledonian Cinematograph Co Ltd in old back court meeting hall. Arch. Neil C. Duff. s. 500. Renamed, 7.16. Renamed Royal, 2.25. Cl. 1930. Billiard hall, then bingo. Dem. 1979.
St. James' Picture House 112, Stirling St, Townhead o. 1910 by The Douglas Picture House Co. s. 450. Cl., dem. 1947.
Standard 95, Dumbarton Road o. 1909 by J Graham in back court meeting hall. Arch. AV Gardner. s. 1,153. Sold to Glasgow & West of Scotland Cinemas, 4.4.45. Cl., dem. 1957.
Star / Cosmo 254, Garscube Road o. 1912 by North Glasgow Theatre Ltd in old meeting hall. Renamed, 7.31. Cl., dem. 9.33
Star / New Star 1046, Maryhill Road o. 31.12.12 by Maryhill Star Palace Ltd. Arch. AV Gardner. s. 900. Comprehensively reconstructed & renamed, 1930. Arch. Gardner. s.1,799. Cl. 10.66. Car showroom. Dem. 1978.
Star Music Hall / Shakespeare Music Hall / New Star Theatre of Varieties / Pringle's Picture Palace 12, Watson St, Calton o.1878 as Star Music Hall, upper levels of warehouse. Renamed, 1881, 1885. Closed 1884-92 due to disaster where 14 people died. Renamed 1897 o. 11.11.07 by Ralph Pringle for cinema. s. 1,200. Cl. 7.14. Leased by Frutin for cinevariety, 1914 - 34. Variety only from c1918. Reverted to Queen's theatre name. Destroyed by fire, 1952. Dem., 1956.
Star Palace 136, Main Street, Bridgeton o. 1908 by Mrs M Laird in old Bridgeton Town Hall. Arch. J & J Laird. s. 1,013. Cl., dem. 1930.
State 293, Castlemilk Road o. 20.12.37 by Cathcart Picture Playho. (GU Scott). Arch. McNair & Elder. s. 1,600. Sold to County Properties, and renamed County, 6.71. Bingo from 1972.
State 1311, Shettleston Road o. 14.5.37 by Cathcart Picture Playho. (GU Scott). Arch. CJ McNair. s. 2,009. (1,149 from 1955). Cl. 4.5.73. Derelict. Dem. 1986.
Strathclyde 41, Summerfield Street o. 15.8.28 by Strathclyde Cinema Ltd. Arch. Gardner & Glen. s. 1,910. Sold to Green's, 1937. Cl. 7.5.61. Bingo from 1962. Dem. 1980.
Sun Picture House Hopehill Road, Woodside o. 1911 by Leone Weinstone in old workshop. Arch. Bruce & Hay. s. 350. Cl., dem. 1914.
Temple Hall 80, Fulton Street o. 1917 by A Wardrop. s. 464. Cl. 1924. Workshop. Dem. 1985.
Tivoli / Classic 53, Crow Road o. 29.4.29 by Thomas Ormiston. Arch. Denny & Blain. s. 1,915. Sold to Gaumont, 3.32. Sold to Classic, renamed, 12.67. Cl. 26.2.72. Bingo from 24.1.73.
Vogue 251, Langlands Road x Crossloan Road o. 4.7.38 by Singleton Cinemas. Arch. J McKissack. s. 2,500. Cl. 30.12.61. Bingo. Cl., dem. 6.85.
Wellington Palace 11, Commercial Rd o. 30.11.08 by JJ Bennell in old music hall. Sold to R Pennycook and remodelled, 1928. Arch. AV Gardner. s. 1,967. Cl., dem. 5.57.
Westway 1754, Paisley Road West o. 8.4.35 by Smith & Welsh. Arch. Bryden, Robertson, Boyd. s. 1,400. Sold to Singleton Cinemas, 7.1.50. Cl. 3.2.59. Remodelled for ballroom. Bingo from 1974.Demolished c. 2003.
Whitevale Theatre 845, Gallowgate o. 1908 by Green's in old music hall. s. 660. Cl., dem. 1929.
Avion Thornliebank Road / Lochiel Road 1920s, closed by 1960. Dem for Avion pub, 1964

Back