Back Main Page
|Opened in December 1916
by Caledon Pictures Ltd, and designed by AV Gardner to seat 1,121. The
plans included a large glass corner tower feature, though it's unclear
if this was ever built, as owing to War-time restrictions, the owners
were told they could only put the roof on the building and then to stop
work. Work carried on regardless, and the interior was finished -
causing a fine of £100 for completing the building without a
Licence from the Ministry of Munitions.
Building was extended (and the facade refaced) by Gardner in 1931/2.
Closed in March 1959. Bingo (as the Vogue) from 1967-70. Demolished in June 1976.
Photo courtesy of the Cinema Theatre Association archive.
Another photo, of the side of the building, is available here.