Back Main Page
by Alister G MacDonald for the 1938 Empire Exhibition, which ran from 3
May - 29 October. The Empire was designed as a 'newsreel' cinema, but
also had a small stage for live performances. It seated around 600.
MacDonald also designed the Peace Pavilion
at the exhibition. The image below shows the cinemas location on the
exhibition site, near to the main entrance, and how the foyer was set
perpendicular to the body of the auditorium:
When the exhibition closed, the cinema was one of the buildings that was dismantled and sold on, becoming the Empire in Lochgilphead.