in 1893 to a design by architect JJ Burnet, this small A-listed
theatre was purpose built to train drama students.
The tall, narrow
building is entered by a door leading to a circular stair well, running
most of the height of the building.
The stairs circle a
small liftshaft (although the lift
has been removed). A small original paybox
is situated just to
the left of the entrance doors.
Ground floor level gave access to the rear
circle of the petite
auditorium, with the stalls several
levels below ground.
spacious floors above the
auditorium were used for rehearsal and storage space.
plain auditorium originally sat around 790, and was restored after
water damage in 1996 (by then seating around 350).
building was then sold to a property developer in 1997, and has
remained closed and empty ever since.
Numerous schemes to adapt the building for retail or restaurant use
have been mooted - and some initial work was carried on one, involving
stripping out the bar area and removing the theatre seating, before
planning permission for the conversion was refused.
This work has at least resulted in the partial uncovering of a mosaic
that appears to have made up
the rear stalls floor.
View from stage
Stalls mosaic detail
As of June 2005, the building appears to have been sold again, but no
further information is available as to who the new owners are or what
their plans are.
For a complete photo survey of the building, taken after closure, click