Back

Aberdeen Demolished Cinemas

This list includes all known cinemas in Aberdeen that are not already covered on the main part of the site, as they are known to have been demolished.

NameAddressDetails
Astoria Central Pk, Kittybrewster o. 8.12.34 by Aberdeen Astoria Cinema Ltd. Arch. TS Sutherland. s. 2,060. Sold to Donald's, 27.3.36. Cl. 13.8.66. Bingo for a few months. Cl. 1.67. Dem. 4.67.
Casino Wales Street o. 7.2.16 by JP Kilgour. Arch. G Sutherland & Clement George. s. 900. Sold to Bert Gates, 23.11.39, then to Donald's, 23.5.41. Cl. 3.10.59. Sold to James Rennie & Arthur Forbes for bingo. o. 26.9.61. Cl. 8.62. Sold to council. Used as store. Dem. for flats (with Star), 1971.
Electric 431, Union Street o. 29.8.10 in former Arcade Skating Rink. Renovated with Chinese theme auditorium, 26.3.28. Cl., dem. 16.4.32 for building of Capitol.
Gaeity / Palladium 10, Shiprow o. 5.9.1908 by Dove Paterson in old St Katherine's Hall of 1878. Refurbished, renamed Palladium, 5.5.19. Cl. summer 1930. Derelict. Sold to ABC, 8.37. Dem. for Regal.
Grand Central 286, George Street o. 3.4.22 by Donald's in former store. s. 730. Recontructed and extended, o. 30.12.29. Arch. George Watt. s. 1,640. Photographs in RCAHMS from 11.2.82, incl. auditorium. Council noted serious short-fall in standards - seating would need to be reduced to one-third, 6.81. Cl. 17.10.81 (same day as Queen's). Dem. 1984 for housing.
King's / (Rings?) 217, George Street o. 1.5.11 in former Northern Hall of c. 1885. Sold to APP, 8.22. Cl. 1940. Became City Ballroom, then Maxine's, then Locarno. Cl. 1.55. Used as workshop. Dem. 1979 for car park.
La Scala 234, Union Street o. 3.4.14 by La Scala Photo Playho. Co. (Aberdeen). Arch. John Ednie & Geo. Sutherland. Sold to Green's, 10.4.17. Sold to Caledonian Ths. (Brebner & Walker,Belmont & TSS etc.). Cl. 18.5.35 for buiding of Majestic.
Majestic 234, Union Street o. 10.12.36 by Caledonian Theatres on site of La Scala (extended). s. 1,800. Sold to Donald's, 4.1.38. Cl. 29.9.73. Dem. for offices.
Regal / ABC / Lighthouse / Vue Shiprow / 35, Union St o. 26.7.54 after construction halted by WWII. Arch. CJ Foster to earlier plans by WR Glen. s. 1,914. Tripled, 6.74. s. 580; 150; 140. Cl.1.98. Demolished for Lighthouse multiplex cinema, o. 3.2001.
Star 23, Park Street o. 3.11 by Bert Gates in former mission hall of 1903 (with stained-glass star above door). Cl. Nov. 1939, after he bought adjacent Casino and planned to join them into one. Converted, late 1939 into indoor funfair, then dance hall. Dem. 1971.
Torry Picture House / Torry Cinema Crombie Road o. 2.5.21. Renamed Torry Cinema, 1930s. Renovated, 1939. Cl. 24.9.66. Converted into shops.
West End / Playhouse 475, Union Street o. 1915 in former billiard hall. Reconstructed and renamed Playhouse, 14.9.21. s. 1,000. Renamed Playhouse Continental, 3.2.59. Cl., dem. 9.5.74.

Back