217, George Street
Photo above courtesy Norrie Mcnamee
|Opened 1911 in former Northern
Hall of c.1885. Closed 1940. Became City Ballroom, then Maxine's, then
Locarno Ballroom. Cl. 1.55. Used as workshop. Dem. 1979 for car park.
It had a gallery round three sides. In 1978, the screen was long gone,
replaced by the big window, but the pale green-and-cream colour scheme
was relatively intact.
Archive shots below courtesy Jim Brooks
specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001
- 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally
granted, but please
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or
trademarks. Please contact the editors
in case of any queries.