|Opened in 1898 as the Palace
Theatre, seating 1800 over two tiers. Films introduced in 1911.
Interior rebuilt 1931, 2000 seats. Ballroom from 1959, and nightclub
Photo here from Sept 2006, courtesy of Mike Wood.
Top three archive photos below courtesy Jim Brooks.
Lower three images are of the void area created when the stalls area first became a ballroom.
They were taken in 1985 by Alan Rennie, who has kindly allowed us to use them.