Back

Dundee Demolished Cinemas

This list includes all known cinemas in Dundee that are not already covered on the main part of the site, as they are known to have been demolished.

NameAddressDetails
Britannia / Salon / Britannia Picturedrome o. 1912. Renamed Salon, 1923. Renamed Britannia Picturedrome soon afterwards. Cl. c. 1939.
Broadway 7, Arthurstone Terrace o. c. 1931. Arch. Allan & Frisken. Sold to JB Milne by 1940. Bingo from c. 1968. Either significantly altered or demolished.
Casino South Road o. c. 1925. Cl. c. 1930.
Cinema / BB Cinerama 57 Tay Street o. c.1919 by JJ Bennell. Soon known as Cinerama. Sold to Pennycook Circuit, 1922. Cl. 60s. In former St John's Church, mid-19th C from 1914.
City Picturedrome Rosefield Street / Milnbank Street
Electric Palace / Savoy / Palace 160, Nethergate (by Queen's Hotel) o. 1893 as Palace variety theatre in old circus. Arch. J Hutton. Used for film shows by JJ Bennell, late 1909. Cinema from 1912. Renamed Savoy, late 10s. Sold to SCVT in mid-20s. Reverted to theatre, 1938, possibly due to competition from Green's. Later became Palace theatre. Cl. for bingo. Renamed Theatre Royal. Destroyed by fire, 1977.
Electric Theatre William Street Booth.
Empire / New Empire 62-70 Rosebank St, Hilltown o. 1904 as theatre. s.800. Arch. J McKissack. Showing films from 1908 at least. Sold to JJ Bennell for cinema, 2.10. Sold at some point to United Cinemas. Reseated and renamed by 1922. Sold to Singleton's, 1927. Sold to Odeon, 3.37. Closed, 1950s. Burnt down, 30.10.57. Derelict. Dem. 1962.
Forest Park Cinema Forest Park Road o. 01.29 by Gray's. s. 1,150. Cl. 1969. Converted into shop.
Gaiety / Victoria 52, Victoria Road o. 1887 as variety theatre. Altered 13.4.03. Arch. W Alexander. s. 960. Cine-variety and film seasons from 5.09. Sold to RC Buchanan, 1910. Sold to Victoria Cinema Ltd, renamed, 10.15. Reverted to cine-variety in early 30s. Sound equipment fitted in 1935. Sold to JB Milne at some point in 30s, probably 1935. Cl. after being condemned, 1989. Dem for road.
Grand Theatre / New Grand Theatre o. 1912. Renamed, 1938. Cl. c. 1942.
Her Majesty's / Capitol / Majestic 7, Seagate o. 19.10.1885 as Her Majesty's Theatre in vastly altered building of 1800. Arch. William Alexander. s. 1,700. Film shows from pre-1910. Full-time cinema from 1919. Renamed, massively rebuilt, 1930. Sold to JB Milne, 30s. Destroyed by fire, 1941, then derelict. Demolished. Rebuilt as Capitol. Signage from here later transferred to Capitol Galashiels.
Kinnaird Bank Street o. for cine-variety by 1908 in old theatre/skating rink of 1857. s. 1,554. Full time cinema from 1920. Sold to Winocour, 1930s. Cl. c. 1962. Dem. 66 after fire.
Magnet 8 Well Road c. 1912 - 1915. Later West End Palais.
Main St Picture Palace / Regent Main Street o. by 1912. Sold to Glasgow Film Services by 23. Cl. for a time, 1925. Sold to Edwards and Fraser of the Tivoli. Ropened as Regent, c. 1925. Sold to Prain Bros. Cl, late 60s, for bingo.
Morgan St/Stobswell/Ritz Morgan Street o. 17.9.10 by Feather & Co. Arch. J. Sibbald. s. 900. Renamed Stobswell within months. Known at some point as New Cinema. Sold to JB Milne, 19?? Later Ritz. Cl. 70s. Dem. c.1978.
New Brittania / Regal Smalls Wynd Closed by 1960s. demolished for University building.
New Hippodrome / Princess 160, Hawkhill o.1912 in old theatre (Hippodrome, o.1908). Renamed, 1918. Fitted for sound, c. 1930, while under ownership of Mrs M McIntosh. C.1959
Oxford / Astoria 62, Logie St, Lochee o. by 1912 by Henry Lees. s. 900. Sold to Binnall's Entertainments, 1929. Renamed for talkies. Cl. c. 1977. Became derelict.
Pavilion / Palladium / New Palladium / Rex 67 Alexander Street o. 1913. Renamed, 1920. Sold to Hyman Cohen and renamed, 1926. Sold to JB Milne, 1930s. Renamed Rex, 1951. Cl. c. 1961.
Picture House / Royal 22, Arthurstone Terrace o. 1918. Arch. MacLaren, Soutar & Salmond. Renamed 1931. Cl. c. 1962. Top Rank Bingo. Now a store. [picture in Hornsey.]
Plaza 107, Hilltown o. 28.5.28 by SCVT. Arch. MacLaren, Soutar & Salmond. Sold to JB Milne, 1950s for ?30,500 . Cl. c. 1973. Re-opened 1975 for approx 5 years. Bingo. Serious fire, late 90s. Dem 1996 for housing (building cost ?103,000).
Queen's Hall 3 Well Road o. 1922. Cl. c. 1933. Theatre till 1939. Exam hall, demolished mid-1990s.
Regal 22 Taylor St, Lochee A short lived cinema of c. 1936-39. Later social club,
Royalty Kinema 62-66, Baffin (Watson) St. o.c. 1919 or 1926. Arch. MacLaren, Soutar & Salmond. Manager R Pennycook, who later became owner. Sold to JB Milne, Cl. c. 1965. Listed in 1969 Yellow Pages. Dem.
St Ann St Cinema St Ann Street c. 1912-15.
Vogue / Odeon 146, Strathmartine Road o. 8.36 by Singleton's. Arch. J McKissack. s. 1,500. Similar to his Rutherglen Vogue of same year. Sold to Odeon, 3.37. Soon renamed. Cl. c.72. Dem.(?) for supermarket.
Wellington 30 Wellington Street 1925-1936
West End Picture Palace unknown - see note o. 1908 by as Newman's West End Picture Palace. Is this the same building that became West End Kinema/Shand's?
West End/Shand's/Gray's Shepherd's Loan o. c. 1912 in purpose-built hall as West End Kinema. Arch. Leslie Ower. s. 772. Bought by D. Shand and renamed, c.1918. Sold to Gray's, c.1938. s. 900. Cl. c. 1958. Garage till 1980s; demolished.

Back