Opened 1934 by ABC, a partial rebuild of the earlier Grand Theatre.
Architect was CJ McNair. Original seating was for 1,996.
Tripled in 1973, then seating 704 (old
balcony); 128; 126.
Closed, 27.5.01. In 2008, was being gutted for conversion into a large sports bar.
Exterior pics above courtesy of Graham Kelly; interior pic courtesy of Alan
Archive photos of the exterior are here
and a photo of one of
the original projectors is here
- all courtesy Andy Simmonds.
Decorative mosaic detail
Rear showing areas of old brickwork
reused from Grand Theatre
Side entrance to cinema cafe
Image above courtesy of 'dusashenka
Picture of an entrance to the Grand Theatre:
Image courtesy of the Cinema Theatre Association Archive (Tony Moss Collection)