121 Central Avenue
C Listed Building
Archive images courtesy of
Alan J Towers.
Opened 1916 as part of the Gretna township built to service the
enormous munitions factory nearby.
Photo shows Mr Rob Towers, cinema proprietor, introducing stars
Janette Scott & Vernon Gray
at the premier of Now and Forever, c1956.
Converted to Bingo sometime after the late 1960s; bingo closed
The foyer areas were converted for music school use in 2015, with
the auditorium used for storage.
A rare example of a purpose built cinema opened during wartime.
Interior image on bingo courtesy of the NLS Moving Image Archive
Photos below from June 1985, courtesy of Paul Francis.
Some colour interior images from Bingo days on CinemaTreasures