16 Wauchope Avenue
The County opened in 1950,
replacing an earlier cinema on the same
site, the Rio, which was destroyed by fire. The County closed to film
in 1963, and was subsequently used for bingo.
It has since been demolished,
apart from the small row of shops visible
to the right of the main building (the 'Rex' sign is still visible!).
1970s shots courtesy of Alastair Kerr:
Additional picture here.
Photo courtesy of Norrie Mcnamee.
specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001
- 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally
granted, but please
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or
trademarks. Please contact the editors
in case of any queries.