Scottish Cinemas and Theatres


Back  Main Page


Picture House
Cumming Street

Opened 1927. Closed in 1964.
Now a removals company – split horizontally, still with tinplate roof intact.
Stairs, balcony doors intact. Opened 1927 to replace the Lyceum.

Exterior photo courtesy Derek Mathieson.
Interior picture below courtesy of Harry Rigby

Caroline Street

Opened in 1913 for North of Scotland Cinematograph Company; a conversion of existing Baptist Church.
Closed 1927; later used as a garage. Now demolished.
Archive material showing the conversion plans, by local architect P Fulton, to turn it into a cinema below are dated December 1912.
Plans courtesy David Low.


Ground Floor

First Floor


Block Plan

Back  Main Page

Unless otherwise specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001 - 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally granted, but please ask first
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or trademarks. Please contact the editors in case of any queries.