Archive image c.1977, courtesy of Alistair Kerr. Other images above April 2008.
Opened as the Empire Electric Theatre on 13th December 1913, in a purpose-built hall. It re-opened as the La Scala in June 1916. The building has a very unusual, long, low handsome stone facade.
Partially rebuilt and extended for sound in 1930, the building was damaged by fire in both 1952 and 1962. It finally closed as a cinema in 1971, at which time it had 655 seats and was run by Caledonian Cinemas. The operator was Bill Danks.
The building then became a bingo hall, which itself closed in 2006.
The La Scala was listed Category C(s) by Historic Scotland in 2007, making it one of only ten listed buildings in the entire town of Grangemouth.
As of April 2008, the building is sitting empty, but appears to remain in good condition.
Interior pictures above while a bingo hall courtesy of Harry Rigby
Exterior photo below as a bingo hall, courtesy of Findlay Munro.