35-37 High Street
Building dates from 1800s, with a cinema auditorium built at the rear
in 1911, and the left-hand part of building converted to entrance.
1931 with sound. Closed 1961, bought & reopened by Visochhi’s 1962,
closed 1969, building restored to original exterior in the 1970s and
the café extended into what was the foyer. The auditorium was demolished in 1994.
The building is B-listed
Photos courtesy of Harry Rigby.
The postcard below shows the building with the cinema entrance.
specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001
- 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally
granted, but please
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or
trademarks. Please contact the editors
in case of any queries.