Exterior Pictures courtesy of Graham Kelly
Converted with a restaurant in the former balcony; the stalls are empty
A picture of the rear of the cinema is available here.
A photo of the building from 1995 is here,
courtesy of Norrie Mcnamee.
A photo of the building from 1985 is here,
courtesy of Paul Francis.
|The Lockerbie Cinema Co., ran the Rex. The founders of the
company knew little about how to run a cinema and so approached Green's
of Glasgow to do so on their behalf. Green's declined, declaring that
their main interest was in running large cinemas. However, their
architect John Fairweather offered guidance on an appropriate site, the
capacity to aim for and the capitalisation required. Fairweather was
employed to design the building and Green's undertook the film bookings
for the cinema. |
Informtion from the Lockerbie Cinema Co.,
Directors' Minute Book, April 1932- August 1938.
|Interior images of the empty building from 2009 courtesy of Murray Thomson and Sam Hayward here.
Photo courtesy Norrie Mcnamee.
Opened 1960 with 88 seats.
Town Hall Theatre
Image courtesy the Cinema Theatre Association Archive (Tony Moss Collection).
specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001
- 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally
granted, but please
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or
trademarks. Please contact the editors
in case of any queries.