Rothesay Cinemas & Theatres
Photos of Rothesay buildings circa 1986 courtesy of Des Gorra
Opened 1938; closed 1976. Bingo; now demolished.
Built in 1924 to enclose an open-air amphitheatre; used as a
Closed mid-1970s; restored in the 1990s. Now a small
cinema (97 seats), restaurant and tourist facilities.
77 High Street
Opened 1930s; now bingo and flats.
Photo above courtesy of Emma Mykytyn.
Picture here circa 1986, courtesy of Des Gorra.
East Princes St
Picture above courtesy of Emma Mykytyn.
Entered through central section. Opened 1913 behind old Rothesay Public Hall (1879). Bingo from 1963.
Reopened for summer cinema season, 1972. Destroyed by landslide, 1973.
Tenement frontage remains.
Photo here courtesy Norrie Mcnamee, c1996
Not a cinema, but some glorious 1930s architecture!
Category A listed.
Website for the building is http://www.isle-of-bute.org.uk/pavilion/
specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001
- 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally
granted, but please
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or
trademarks. Please contact the editors
in case of any queries.