Back  Main Page

Glen Cinema

The Glen opened as the Royal Animated Pictures in 1910. In 1929, it was the site of Scotlands worst cinema distaster, when 71 children died on Hogmanay after a call of 'fire' resulted in a panicked stampede. A recent exhibition tells the story, and details are available online at

The building was converted from a Templar Hall, and had a balcony running around three sides of the auditorium. It seated around 1000 people on wooden benches. The projection room was at the rear of the stalls.

Closing after the disaster, the building is now used by a variety of businesses, and partly hidden by a more modern building built in front in the 1930s. Much of the original plasterwork & decoration survives above a suspended ceiling in a furniture store.... The building is B-listed.

For archive photographs, and a series of pictures of what survives of the auditorium in 2004, click here.

Archive postcard, undated

Back  Main Page