Back  Main Page

Picture House
23 High Street

Opened c.1912, designed by architect George A Boswell. Rebuilt, reopened in February 1930, when seating was for 2,300. Sold to the West Regent Circuit (Winocour), in August 1936. Sold to Green's. Sold to Mecca in the 1960s, from which time it was a Mecca Bingo. Closed and the auditorium was demolished in the late-1980s for  a shopping centre development.  Facade is B-listed.

Images below courtesy of Frank Watson / Scottish Cinema Organ Trust

Frank Olson at the 3/10 Hilsden Organ

Auditorium from stage

Auditorium from rear

Interior pictures below courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland.
B&W images taken February 1983, colour images c.1985.

Back  Main Page