New Picture House
117 North Street
The New Picture House in St Andrews opened in 1931. It has a long, narrow auditorium, with a balcony and a barrel-vaulted ceiling. Designed by local architects Gillespie and Scott, two dressing rooms were also provided to service a reasonably deep stage, which until recently was used for local amateur shows.
As of July 2005, the balcony is currently being extended forward onto the projecting roofs of the mini-screens below, to providing additional luxury seating for the main screen.
Along with the Campbeltown Picture House, it is now one of only two cinemas in Scotland where one can see a film from the best seats in the house - at the front of a balcony... The New Picture House was listed Category B by Historic Scotland in 2008.
Thanks to Paul Carey for allowing us access to the building.
Photo above and information courtesy of St Andrews Museum.
Opened in 1913. Showed the latest silent films with live orchestral accompaniment for the ‘big’ films and during the tourist season. Sound was installed in 1929. Competition came in the form of the New Picture House on the opposite side of North Street in 1934.
Photos and information courtesy of St Andrews Museum.
The La Scala building was an old Roman Catholic church formerly situated on the Scores (originally erected c.1886). A corrugated metal and wood construction – known locally as the ‘Tin Tabernacle’ – it was transported to the site on James Street in three sections in 1909 [see photo above]. Officially named the La Scala, it was town’s only cinema (but also used as dance hall and roller skating rink) until The Cinema House opened its doors in 1913. The La Scala building was later used as a fruit and vegetable store but was demolished c.2001 and there are now flats on the site.
Photo courtesy of Harry Rigby