Back  Main Page


<Pictures courtesy of Anna Collins>

Regal / Odeon
Crouch Street

Additional photos here and here.

Opened in February 1931; originally with an atmospheric interior and seating 1,446. The designs by architect Cecil Massey  also featured a cafe, a Wurlitzer organ and full stage facilities. Renamed Odeon in 1961. Tripled in 1974, with Screen 1 the original circle, and screens 2 and 3 in the original stalls area.

The old dressing rooms were used as a base for Hospital Radio Colchester from 1975 to 1990.

Three additional screens were later added, bringing the total to six.

The cinema closed on Sunday, October 13, 2002 when Odeon relocated to a new purpose built 8-screen multiplex nearby in Head Street.
The old building is currently derelict, although plans have been submitted to turn it into a nightclub.

Back  Main Page