Ascot / Gaumont / Odeon
1544 Great Western Road, Anniesland
Ascot opened in December
1939, after delays in construction caused by the declaration of
war, and subsequent alterations to strengthen the roof to provide
better shelter in the event of bombing. Designed by McNair & Elder,
it originally seated 1,963.
It was renamed Gaumont in 1950, and when that chain was taken over by
Odeon it was renamed as such in 1964, before closing as a cinema in
A County bingo hall from then until 1998, it sat empty until demolition
began in 2001.
Part of the frontage was retained, with new flats built behind where
the auditorium once stood. A couple of photos of the place as it is
now, but nicely lit up at
night can be seen here, here and
For pictures taken during various stages of the demolition,
For interior pictures taken during demolition,
see here (thanks to Frank Watson).
Photos c1980 courtesy Chris Doak
Images of the foyer courtesy of the Scottish Screen Archive at the National Library of Scotland
specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001
- 2022 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally
granted, but please
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or
trademarks. Please contact the editors
in case of any queries.