Bombay Cinema - The Capitol
Capitol / Gaumont / Bombay
5, Lorne Street, Ibrox
This opened as the Capitol in
1927, to a design by John Fairweather. It originally seated 2062.
Renamed the Gaumont in 1954, it finally closed in 1961.
The building was used for bingo from then till
the early nineties, when it was left derelict for a while before being
re-opened as the Bombay Cinema in the late nineties, showing Asian
language films. This seated 740 in a single screen.
In September 2004, outline planning permission was granted to demolish
it with flats and car parking.
The cinema finally closed in December 2004, and demolition started in February 2006.
A gallery of archive and interior photos can be seen here
, courtesy of Bruce Peter.
A demolition gallery from February 2006 can be seen here
Some older pictures of the exterior c2002 are available here.
Photo below of the exterior c1980, courtesy Chris Doak
specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001
- 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally
granted, but please
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or
trademarks. Please contact the editors
in case of any queries.