Scottish Cinemas and Theatres

Charing Cross Electric Theatre

Main Page

Charing Cross Electric Theatre
500-516 Sauchiehall Street, City Centre



Opened in May 1910, the hall behind a retained facade from an earlier warehouse building is Glasgow's earliest purpose built cinema. After closing in 1926, the site became the famous Locarno ballroom, but has been a casino since 1989.

The auditorium is visible built up the hill behind the facade here, and here from the rear.

The building is B-listed.

Main Page

Unless otherwise specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001 - 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally granted, but please ask first
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or trademarks. Please contact the editors in case of any queries.