Scottish Cinemas and Theatres

Grand Central

Main Page

Grand Central / Classic Grand / Cannon Grand / Curzon
18 - 22 Jamaica Street, City Centre


Opened as the Grand Central in 1915, seating 750 in a conversion of the upper floors of an existing warehouse.

The cinema closed in 1966, and lay empty for several years, before re-opening as the Classic Grand in 1973. This used only some of the original cinema space, and sat 365. The name changed again to the Cannon Grand in 1985, before finally closing as the Curzon in 1992.

Since then, the building has been used for an amusement arcade and nightclub. The interior of the building was also badly damaged by a fire in 2001.

The building is listed Grade B by Historic Scotland.



Advert
Courtesy of CTA Archive

Stained-glass window detail


The cinema portion of the building has now re-opened as the new venue, the Classic Grand.

Photo c1983 courtesy Chris Doak

Main Page

Unless otherwise specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001 - 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally granted, but please ask first
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or trademarks. Please contact the editors in case of any queries.