Scottish Cinemas and Theatres

Hampden Picture House

Back Main Page

Hampden Picture House
91 Westmoreland Street, Govanhill


Opened in December 1920, the Hampden Picture House originally seated 1,040. It closed in 1969, and was then used for bingo, followed by a cycling club, then a social club from 1976. It is was a music venue until demolition in 2007.
Photo here c1980, courtesy Chris Doak.

Demolition photographs below courtesy of John Duncan and Norrie Mcnamee

Back Main Page

Unless otherwise specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001 - 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally granted, but please ask first
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or trademarks. Please contact the editors in case of any queries.