571 Gallowgate, Bridgeton
Photo c1975, courtesy of Chris Doak
Derelict in 2004.
Opened in 1932, to seat 2570.
Designed by AV Gardner, like his Kelvin
was another atmospheric
Closed for films from 1965, and bingo from then until 1995. A
serious fire in late nineties completely gutted the foyer,
damage to auditorium is unknown, but signs of forced entry and
vandalism were worryingly obvious.
Pictures of the wonderful
atmospheric interior in better days are
Demolition was started in June 2004, pictures from that are available here.
More pictures of the exterior available here
An exterior image from 1975 when on bingo is available here.
(Photo copyright Gordon Adams of www.eastglasgowhistory.com)
specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001
- 2022 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally
granted, but please
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or
trademarks. Please contact the editors
in case of any queries.