Scottish Cinemas and Theatres

Glasgow Cinemas

Back   Main Page

Rio
Canniesburn Toll


Opened in October 1934 by Suburban Pictures Ltd., and designed by architects Cowieson's Ltd. Original seating was for 1,120. Sold to P Crerar, in 1936. Sold to CAC in June 1938. Twinned in 1975, with the resulting screens seating 299 and 287. Closed in October 1986, and was then demolished for flats.


Photos c1985 courtesy Paul Frances.

 
Back  Main Page

Unless otherwise specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001 - 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally granted, but please ask first
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or trademarks. Please contact the editors in case of any queries.