Back Main Page
Star Music Hall / Shakespeare Music Hall /
New Star Theatre of Varieties / Pringle's Picture Palace
12, Watson St
Images and text from the Illustrated London News, November 8, 1884
in 1878 as the Star Music Hall, in the upper levels of a warehouse.
Renamed, 1881, 1885. Closed from 1884-92 due to a disaster where 14
people died (see newspaper extract). Renamed 1897 and reopened in
November 1907 by Ralph Pringle for cinema use, seating 1,200. Closed
July 1914. Leased by Frutin for cine-variety, 1914 - 1934. Variety only
from c.1918. Reverted to Queen's theatre name. Destroyed by fire, 1952.
Demolished in 1956.
Further details can be found on the Arthur Lloyd website here.
specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001
- 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally
granted, but please
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or
trademarks. Please contact the editors
in case of any queries.