Queen's Cinema / Tonic
160 Battlefield Road
|Opened in 1922, and originally
seated around 500. Renamed the Tonic in 1934, it closed to films in
1962. Was a sports shop for a while, now a pub.
The cinema was in the basement and front garden of the tenement behind, and was known locally as 'the catacombs'.
Photo here c1980 courtesy Chris Doak, showing the tenement block behind, since demolished.
specified, all photographs and other material copyright (c) 2001
- 2020 Gordon Barr and Gary Painter.
All rights reserved. Permission for use elsewhere normally
granted, but please
No attempt is made to infringe any existing copyrights or
trademarks. Please contact the editors
in case of any queries.